Saturday, April 19, 2008

The God who is Qualified

There is only one job I've ever had where I truly felt I was in every single way unqualified. Sure, there have been jobs with high learning curves and difficult odds, but only one left me shaking in my boots, well flip flops. Parenting. That's the one. When Jeff and I found out God had decided it was time to start our family we were elated, but in my heart, I was petrified. According to my plan, we would be married about ten years--plenty of time to work out all the kinks and do some real parenting research--before beginning to procreate. But God had a different route in mind. And why shouldn't he? He knew after all that it would be Him empowering us as parents to fulfill the stewardship of children in our lives. And He was and remains abundantly qualified. In life, we so often get confused and think that somehow things depend on us. The truth is that "It is God who works in us both to will and do His good pleasure." (Phil. 2:13) What depends on us is mere obedience. But power, wisdom, strength--those things find their source in a very qualified and able God. David knew the qualifications of God, the complete capability of the Almighty to accomplish the things that concerned his life. He wrote, "God springs into action! His enemies scatter; his adversaries run from him." I love the idea of God springing into action regarding our lives. I have four sisters. Have you ever seen a family with sisters get together and have a meal? Stand clear of the kitchen because when those gals spring into action, you know you are gonna eat good! That's God. When He moves, seas part, waves are stilled, rains cease unless of course you need them in which case get your umbrella, food falls from the sky, mountains melt, blindness sees and giants go down. Our qualification for doing life comes from being covered by a qualified God--a God who promises to grant wisdom, to grant peace, and who promises that "His divine power has given us everything we need pertaining to life and godliness." (I Pet. 1:3) So, let us join David and "Exalt the one who rides on the clouds! For the Lord is his name! Rejoice before him!" (Ps. 68:4)

No comments: